Can hypnotherapy help with depression?
The word depression is used broadly to describe sadness. Depression is a common and debilitating mood disorder. More than just sadness to life’s struggles and setbacks, depression changes how you think, feel and function during daily activities. It can affect your ability to carry out daily functions, losing interest in activities that were once enjoyable. Interfering with your ability to work, study, eat, sleep and enjoy life. The feelings of helplessness, hopelessness and worthlessness can be intense and unrelenting, with little, if any, relief.
The spectrum of depression is broad from mild to chronic. The severity will depend on symptoms and severity of them. There are also different types of depression:
- Bipolar – when there are extreme highs and lows.
- Prenatal – an episode of depression occurring during pregnancy.
- PostNatal (PND) – occurs post birth and can affect men too.
- Seasonal affective disorder – the condition is affected by certain times of the year.
- Chronic- when the symptoms persist for longer than two years.
There are a number of symptoms which when experienced for more than 2 weeks can result in a diagnose of depression. If these symptoms sound familiar, it is worth speaking to your GP. They are:
- Low mood and self confidence
- Inability to concentrate
- Loss of interest in activities that were once enjoyable
- Lacking in energy
- Sleep issues (too much or too little)
- Feelings of guilt and hopelessness.
- Poor eating habits (too much or little).
- Loss of libido
Depression can be triggered by several different factors and unique to each person. They can also contribute to, occur alongside or be a result of other conditions such as PTSD, anxiety, IBS and chronic pain.
To answer the question, yes, Hypnotherapy can help with depression. A study found that hypnotherapy reduced rates of depression, anxiety and hopelessness compared to clients who had CBT. Sessions are completely natural and can be complimentary to any prescribed medication. Solution focused hypnotherapy encourages the client to focus on their strengths and skills to help override negative feelings and behaviours to reclaim happiness. We have worked several clients teaching them tools to manage symptoms and how to lead happier lives. On average, clients are seen between 8-12 session’s but this varies depending on clients’ needs.