Infertility refers to the failure to conceive after regular unprotected sexual intercourse for 1 year in the absence to known pathology. It can also refer to a woman who is unable to carry a pregnancy to full term (NICE Fertility Guideline).
- Infertility is estimated to affect 1 in 7 couples in the UK
- Approximately 67% of medical assessments for fertility shows results of biological causes, the other 33% have no biological prognosis to be found
- Woman suffering with depression are twice as likely to report infertility
- Those that needed anaesthesia after undergoing hypnobirthing, required smaller amounts and reduced rates of 55-79% rate of non-medicated births (August, RV. Hypnosis in obstetrics. New York 1961)
- Woman with at least one unsuccessful attempt at IVF and have experienced depressive symptoms are less likely to conceive in further rounds of IVF
- Reduction in length of labour for first time mothers was 9.3 hours to 6.4 hours. Second time mothers experienced a reduction of 6.2 hours to 5.3 hours (Jenkins, MW Pritchard MH, Aberdare District Maternity Unit Mild Glam, Wales 1993 Mar)
You have worked hard to be financially secure; your home is suitable for raising a family, you eat healthy and keep fit. So why is this one thing alluding you?
This can cause upset, arguments, blaming, envy, loss os sexual interest, reduced productivity at work, relationship difficulties, other negative emotions and implications. It has been well documented that prolonged stress can lead to chronic health problems including infertility because our bodies are designed to protect us not to grow a foetus or look after a baby when it senses a threat. Consequently, disrupting our production of hormones which hinders the process of ovulation, implementation and sperm quality.
We understand infertility can lead to deterioration in mental health and wellbeing, which in turn can affect the emotional wellbeing and impact relationships, financial stability, loss of respect for your body and sexual intimacy.
Lifestyle choices can have an impact upon fertility
- Excessive exercise
- Use of illicit substances and alcohol
- Health issues
Emotional factors include but not limited to:
- Traumatic events
- Dysfunctional family relationships
- Sexual Abuse
Empowering Support for Couples
Here at mindAbility we are open and honest with all of our clients and will admit hypnotherapy is not a magic plaster that can make everything better. What we can do is enable you to restore the feeling of calm, control and emotional wellbeing. By reducing your anxiety and setting realistic goals you are reminded that your fertility foes not define you. We identify and build on your inner resources to help you manage the emotional journey ahead.
Non-carrying partners can be forgotten because they are not subject to medical examinations or procedures. However, they will be playing a critical role – the supportive partner. They are also likely to experience anxiety because not only are they emotionally invested in the journey but also for the wellbeing of the most important person. Therefore parents to be irrespective of their role can benefit from hypnotherapy. We at mindAbility take all those involved in the journey into consideration to ensure a smooth as possible journey.
At mindAbility we are committed to supporting every client through difficulties they incur with infertility. Our own lead Clinical Hypnotherapist, Asha Berzon has written her own experiences of infertility which can you read here. At mindAbility we are pleased to offer a bespoke package created in partnership with Dr. Ruth Briant-Jones which focuses on the three pillars (mind, physical and spiritual) to the package to maximise physical and mental health for conception.
Our hypnotherapy sessions are tailored towards the clients specific needs. The first face to face consultation will be conducted with the couple. During the session, personal information is gathered, the physiology of conception, fertility and what you can hope to achieve from hypnotherapy. Subsequent sessions should be held independently as it will enable your Clinical Hypnotherapist to work with you to understand the experience of infertility as it impacts everyone differently. This enables couples also to build on their goals and strengths without compromising self-identity outside of the session. On average, clients are seen for 8-12 sessions but this is determined by the client and not the Hypnotherapist.
Please Note: Solution focused hypnotherapy is very effective. However, results may vary and success is not guaranteed. Success is dependent on your willingness and commitment to make changes. The *FREE initial consultation is a 15 minute telephone consultation.